hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Histamine = Friend Or Foe?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/26/2018 01:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/26/2018 01:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
harlot12
Regular Poster

Many would consider histamine to be a natural enemy to hair - after all, it is released along with PGD2 from mast cell degranulation, and in case you didn't know - PGD2 prevents your hair from growing.
In fact, there is an anti-histamine that is relatively well-known on the hair loss boards called Cetirizine - Hell, a study has been released indicating the topical efficacy of the aforementioned drug:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28604133

If a histamine blocker grows hair, wouldn't it be safe to assume that histamine is bad for hair, right?

I wouldn't be so sure...

"Histamine release was not altered by cetirizine treatment, but prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) production, which peaked at 3 to 5 hours, was clearly reduced by cetirizine treatment"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2469708

This seems to indicate that cetirizine helps hair via PGD2 inhibition, not histamine blockade. In fact, some people have even reported hair loss on Benadryl and other such more potent specific histamine inhibition.
All in all, it doesn't seem like histamine is gonna bash up your already mangled hair follicles.

In fact, my personal opinion is that histamine HELPS hair grow.

Let's take a look at... chronic pain patients. Recreational opiate users. Junkies. However you may call them, these people seem to keep their hair better than the average person. Do some Googling; I've even some posts from this very website how siblings that didn't use drugs lost hair, while their heroin addict brothers remained full-head.
Yes, this is where I'm getting at - opiates release tons of histamine. But NOT PGD2 :

"Morphine only induced histamine and tryptase release from HSMC, but not the de novo synthesis of PGD2"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7690200

Now, I AM IN NO WAY ENCOURAGING THE USE OF OPIATES. I've had 2 friends die from opiate related deaths. No way in hell am I suggesting this shit to anyone. Having a full head of hair is nice, but not when you're sucking dick on the streets for dirty black tar to inject into your septic veins.

HOWEVER:

"In order to evaluate substances on hair growth, it is necessary to estimate their effects on telogen skin or anagen skin, separately.We investigated the hair re-growth by topical application of 0.25% cyclosporin, 1% minoxidil or 0.1% histamine to telogen skin of C3H/HeNCrj mouse (8weeks, male) monoitoring the area of hair re-growth.Cyclosporine administration induced anagen phase much earlier than other substances or the control vehicle, and it took 15 days for the 50% regrowing of the clipped area. Minoxidil or histamine also induced anagen earlier, and their regrowing periods were 32 and 37, respectively (more than 60 days for the control)"

Minoxidil sounds familiar, huh? And histamine is growing hair alongside it; like they're best buds.

Here's another study:

"This result suggests that the histamine synthesising enzyme, histidine decarboxylase, activity may be involved in the distinctive process of hair re-growth, in particular, the initiation of the anagen phase."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9353643

Seems like histamine plays quite a role in the hair cycle, huh? To the layman, the "anagen" phase is the "growth" phase, where your hair is growing (duh). When DHT and inflammation attack our follicles, these anagen or "growth" phases are gradually shorted, to the point where your hair doesn't even grow at all.

Lastly, before you get bored of reading this long-ass post (which I'm sure you already are), histamine has been shown to increase ESTRADIOL. We've all seen those cases of people taking estradiol and growing back their lovely locks.

"Histamine has been shown to stimulate, in a dose-dependent manner, the synthesis of estradiol"

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/85/5/1185/4633007

Don't worry, I highly doubt you have anything to worry about in regards to growing boobs, otherwise heroin junkies would be sporting some impressive mammaries.

TLDR; although histamine is often involved with PGD2 and various TH2 cytokines that destroy your follicles; histamine by itself seems to be quite a potent growth stimulant.

How do we increase it without becoming morphine addicts? Further research is needed.

-------------------------
Used to be severely diffused NW5; now a NW2 with some lacking density that can be pulled off as a full head of hair with just a few comb strokes.

Hair is still growing; still relentless, still researching, never giving up.

Edited: 03/26/2018 at 01:42 AM by harlot12
 03/29/2018 10:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sunchyme1
Accomplished Poster

interesting stuff man

im about to give cet a go

im even more pumped to try it after reading this

by the way whats your regimen man? what you using for your hair?
Statistics
36177 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 428 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 428 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc